Here's a look at what we learned this week!
Phonics: This week we focused on the sound k spelled c, k, and ck. We learned how to identify which way we should spell it based on the vowels around the k sound.
Reading: In Reading we focused on expanding our vocabulary by finding interesting words in our books. We practiced finding words we didn't know or that we wanted to add into our writing. Throughout the week, we read several fun books together and also practiced on our own. When we found an interesting word during our read aloud, we added it to our Class Word Collector.
Writing: This week we learned how to Peer Conference and Peer Edit our writing. During Peer Conferences we got together with a partner and read our story to them. Then they told us something we did well and asked us a question about our story. During Peer Editing time, we took our friend's story and helped them fix the spelling, capitals, periods, and any other mistakes. Next week we will publish our first story!
Math: In Math we learned about skip counting, equal groups, and patterns. We practiced skip counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s. We also solved story problems that used equal groups.
Social Studies: This week we finished learning about Maps! For the last few weeks we have been working in groups to make our own map. This week we finished! Here are some pictures:
Bible: In Bible this week, we learned about how God saved His people from slavery in Egypt by sending 10 plagues. We also learned about the Judges and King Saul. We learned that God is more pleased when we obey Him than when we do things for Him. God wants us to obey Him above everything else.
1. Spelling Words: gym, city, circle, gone, age, center, giant, space, garden, cycle, square, oval
2. Bible Memory Verse: "Lord, you are good. You are forgiving. You are full of love for all who call out to you." Psalm 86:5
3. There will be NO SCHOOL on Monday. Enjoy the long weekend!
4. Picture Day is Tuesday, September 20th! If you would like to order pictures please fill out the order form and return it to school on Tuesday.
5. The last day to order books from Scholastic will be next Friday, September 23rd. If you would like to order, you can do so online at http://world-schools.scholastic.co.uk/okinawa-christian-school-intl or send in the order form and US Dollars with your student.
6. Our Toguchi Beach field trip has been moved to next Friday, September 23rd. If you are able to come, please send me an email to let me know.
Have a great weekend!