In Reading this week we focused on retelling a story. We learned that there are five important things to include when retelling a story. These are Characters, Setting, Beginning, Middle, and End. For Writing, we wrote about our Spring Breaks and we also learned about some common prefixes. We made a list of some words that had these prefixes and then played a matching game in groups. The students had to match the prefix to the base word and then find the definition.
For Math we began our unit on measurement. We practiced measuring things at school and things at home using feet, inches, centimeters, and decimeters. In Bible we learned about three more parables. We talked about how God wants us to forgive those who have done things against us because He has forgiven us for all of our sins. This week we also learned about the Post Office for Kid City and practiced writing a postcard.
1. A flyer was sent home today about Kid City. We are in need of parent help this next Tuesday (21st) from 3pm-4pm in Miss Turner's room. We will be doing some prep-work for Kid City. We are also in need of some food donations for our restaurant. Please see the flyer for exact details. You can send those in with your students to me.
2. Elementary Field Day is next Friday (24th). The students will be participating in different athletic activities in the morning and, if the weather is nice, we will be going to the park after lunch. Parents are invited to come and spend the day with their student and enjoy the time of being outside together!
3. Terra Nova testing will be April 27-29th. Students are allowed to bring one healthy snack that day to have during the testing time. Please do not bring chips or sugary snacks. We will be testing the students in Math, Reading, Spelling, Bible, Science, Social Studies, and Vocabulary.
4. Kid City will be April 29th in the afternoon. A form will be sent home next week requesting parent help on that day.
5. Spelling Words for next week: chore, farmer, corn, orange, harvest, morning, Lord, arms, horses, hard, before, star, store, north, March, important, June, Wednesday
6. Bible Memory Verse for next week: "Do everything without complaining or arguing. Then you will be pure and and without blame." Philippians 4:14-15a
I hope to see many of you tonight at the Family Reading Night in the Cafeteria at 6:30pm.
Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy the beautiful weather!