Reading: In reading this week we focused on Cause and Effect. We learned that the cause is why something happened and the effect is what happened. We practiced identifying the cause and effect in sentences and also in different stories.
Writing: For writing we continued learning about poems. This week our focus was on Diamante Poems which are poems that are shaped like a diamond. They include nouns, verbs, and adjectives. We wrote a poem together as a class about Elephants and then each student picked a different animal to write about in their own poem.
Bible: In Bible we continued learning about the miracles of Jesus. We learned that Jesus is more powerful than anything that we could be afraid of. We learned that when the disciples were afraid because of a storm, Jesus was able to stop the storm.
Math: This week we finished up Unit 6. We reviewed our addition, subtraction, and multiplication strategies and then took our Unit test on Thursday. In Math we have also been focusing on our basic addition problems and trying to improve our fluency. Because of this, we have been taking weekly tests to try to improve our knowledge of the math facts. When we pass a level we get to write our name on a leaf and put it on the tree. Here is our progress so far:
1. Spelling Words: This week we will be reviewing our words from Lessons 13-17. I will send home a review sheet with the students on Monday.
2. Bible Memory Verse: Then He said to her, "Dear woman, your faith has healed you. Go in peace." Luke 8:48
3. The last day for Scholastic Book Orders will be Friday, February 12th. You can order by sending in the money and order form with your student or by going online here: http://world-schools.scholastic.co.uk/okinawa-christian-school-intl.
4. The last day to order Valentine Grams is next Wednesday. These will be delivered the Thursday or Friday before Valentines Day.
5. Bazaar is coming up soon! Volunteer papers were sent home yesterday in student's folders. If you would like to help please send these back with your student.
6. Reminder that our 2nd grade field trip to the Aquarium will be on Friday, February 19th. More information will be coming next week.
Have a blessed weekend! :)