Happy Valentine's Day! We had a great time celebrating on Friday! Thank you for all of the wonderful Valentine's gifts and love! :)
This week in Spelling we focused on contractions and learned about apostrophes. In Reading we continued to focus on our comprehension skills. I have been so impressed with every one's progress in their reading so far this year! For Writing, we wrote our first draft of our animal research papers. We learned how to indent each paragraph to help our readers understand the separation of our ideas. The students also did a great job of revising and editing their work. They carefully looked through their writing to change repetitive words and also looked for "tired" words that could be replaced by more exciting ones. Next week, we will peer reflect and write our final copy. In Math, we learned about multiplication, division, and also reviewed for our Unit 6 Test on Friday. We were able to play some fun games to help us practice our addition, subtraction, and multiplication. For Bible, we learned about Jesus feeding 5,000 men and their families from only 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish. We also heard the story of Jesus walking on the water. We talked about how Jesus gives us spiritual life and provides for all of our needs.
On Friday we took some time to talk about Valentine's Day. We made Heart Maps to show the people and things that we love. I enjoyed getting to see all the things that are important to our class and see their creativity. Here are some pictures of our finished Heart Maps:
1. There is NO SCHOOL on Monday for President's Day. Enjoy the long weekend!! :)
2. This coming SATURDAY (the 21st) we will be wrapping Lumpia for the Bazaar. We will meet in the Teacher's Lounge at 9:00am. If you are contributing any food items for the Lumpia please bring them that day or, if they are non-perishable, you may send them in with your student and I will keep them. If you are able to come and help us wrap the Lumpia that would also be wonderful! Thank you for all of your hard work and contributions for our Bazaar corner!
3. The Bazaar will be on Saturday, February 28. There will also be No School the following Monday (March 2nd). If you have any questions about Bazaar, please email me or Mrs. Ikehara.
4. Student-Led Conferences will take place on Friday, March 6th. More information will be sent home soon.
5. Our Spelling Words for this week are: close, brave, through, place, crash, clothes, threw, glad, flash, ground, traffic, prize, strange, drive, seen, became
6. Our Bible Memory Verse for this week is: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6